Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Taste of Germany


Last year when we moved from Germany, we packed our flower boxes in our shipping container hoping to be able to use them over here. Yesterday I found a great deal on flowers at Costco, so I decided to decorate our balcony with them! I hope and pray they survive! We get a lot of wind here in Colorado, cooler temperatures in the evening, and a shorter growing season than other parts of the country. My flowers will be exposed to this.
There are 82 townhouses in our development and I have only seen balcony flower boxes on 3 of them. This is very different from Germany where there are flowers everywhere! Maybe we will start a new trend in our neighborhood or maybe after a couple of weeks we'll know why most neighbors don't attempt to grow flowers at 6800 feet!
Meanwhile, we are already enjoying them. They certainly cheer up our balcony and make it a welcoming place for morning quiet time and evening meals.

Red, white and blue!




4 comments:

Howard and Eileen Dueck said...

even though geraniums are my least favourite flower i have to admit that they do look lovely - especially in flower boxes! way to go out there and start something new in your neighbourhood! but sandee, it looks to me like you are wearing rubber gloves to do your gardening. if that is the case, please send me your address and i will send you a pair of real gardening gloves! no joke!! :)

Sandee Shuman said...

Haha! Thanks Eileen! There's a Lowes just down the road!

Shawna said...

Looks good, Tante!

Jesse and Doris Frank said...

Nicely done, Sandee!