Saturday, November 05, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today is my mom's Birthday; she is celebrating in heaven! I am missing her on this special day, and wishing so much that I could pick up the phone to wish her a "Happy Birthday" and let her know how much I love her.
I am thinking about mom's life and the legacy that she left to her children. "The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a goodly (and a godly) inheritance." - Psalm 16:6.
I am truly blessed!
These pictures bring back such fond memories of mom - most of them show the product of her intricate and beautiful handiwork. What a gifted and diligent lady she was - a beautiful example to all of us of a Proverbs 31 woman. Today I want to honor her, and hopefully these pictures will convey that, if only in a very small way!
Two of the many quilts that mom made (I am guessing around 30 in her life time).

A sampling of the baby clothes she sewed and the sweaters she made. Some of these are very old and were found in two large trunks that were full of treasures (that held a distinct moth ball odor!).
 
Mom sewed and knitted a seemingly endless amount of Barbie doll and "bigger doll" clothes which brought smiles and many hours of enjoyment to a lot of little girls - including my sisters and I when we were younger.
 
The large porcelain doll once belonged to my Grandma, the smaller porcelain doll belonged to my mom.

One of many pillowcase sets that mom embroidered.
 
Tablecloth embroidered by my Grandma over 100 years ago! Psalm 23 in German.


My baby bracelet - approximately 1-1/2 inches in diameter.

Miniature doll bassinet. Mom crocheted a lot of these for little girls, including her grandchildren and her great grandchildren.
 
Doilies and more doilies.....masterpieces.







2 comments:

Jesse and Doris Frank said...

Wow! This is such a wonderful post, Sandee.

Howard and Eileen Dueck said...

this is lovely! LOVE the doilies! your mom is no doubt having the best birthday party ever!