Tuesday, March 08, 2011

My small group from BFA

In the past, when we were still at BFA, I often posted updates about my small group. All of my girls graduated in June and went on the different colleges here in the U.S. I wanted to give you an update on where they are and what they are doing!
(This was one of the last pictures that was taken of us back at BFA)

Kyra is studying at the University of Rochester in Rochester, NY. This is what she writes:
Second semester has been a lot easier than first semester was. I'm starting to find people who are interested in the same things I am... My problem roommate moved out, so a whole lot of stress is gone in that area. I also enjoy my classes a whole lot more :).
Probably the highlight of my week is my job. I'm working in an elementary school, where I partner one on one with a kindergartner (his name is Emery... :D), and I work with him on literacy, math and social skills. I also get to help the librarian with a story-telling festival, and that's working with older kids. I love it! I can't tell you how much I miss you, and all our small group times. People aren't as happy here, and they don't spend time talking and being silly like BFAers do...
(Kyra with her mom)



Lizzy is in her second semester at Liberty. She writes:
I am currently a student at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia and I absolutely LOVE it. I have grown more spiritually in the semester than my entire life. The Lord has continued to bring women (like Sandee!!) into my life to challenge me and stretch me to become a woman of God. I went into my freshman year with a declared major of International Business but the Lord quickly laid on my heart something different...Psychology. I have a strong calling from the Lord and great passion to work with high school/college age girls and I hope to later on get my Masters in Counseling.
Lizzy is planning to work at a Christian camp this summer (in N. Carolina). Lizzy recently lost her grandma to cancer and that was really tough for her. She says:
I really know that God has been carrying me through this all and he is my strength which is still such a comfort.



Jessica was at Liberty last semester and transferred to California Baptist University in January. She says:
As for me, I absolutely lovelovelove where I'm at. Everything is so new and fresh still. California is beautiful. I have been so busy with school at Cal Baptist even though I have the greatest schedule, with a full day of classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays only! My school is 40 minutes away from the snow, and 40 minutes away from the ocean. =) I've been to the beach almost every weekend. As for now my major is nursing, but I'm most likely going to change that to Business, either management or marketing. I'm taking a full load so some of my other free days during the week I spend studying. Other than that I have a long weekend starting Thursday night and ending Monday afternoon. I live in a cottage with 7 other girls who I absolutely love. We all get along very very well and do a lot together.



Katey is studying at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI. She really misses her family in Spain and went through some hard times first semester, but this term is going better for her. Here's what she wrote to me recently:
I had a very positive attitude about coming back to Calvin after Christmas. I got back and it felt so great to be here. I felt like I was in a place where people cared for me and that I belonged.
During January I took a month long class on Eugenics. I don't know if you know what that is, but Wikipedia does a good job of describing it ;) We talked a lot about the past of Eugenics, like sterilization in the United States and Hitler and stuff but then we also talked about genetic engineering and the role it is taking and will take in our kids future. It was so fascinating and since I'm interested in genetics it was great to see an issue that is coming up and that will be and is a huge moral question. Its hard as Christians to know what God's plan for us in science is. This class makes me want to major in something science related all the more. I am also taking psychology for the first time and I love it. I'm wondering if I could combine it with bio and do like genetic counseling or something. Ive just been trying to figure out what God wants for me. I am planning to go to Spain for the summer and working there.
You are so special to me and to all the girls in our small group. You have helped us SO much through the difficult times of last year and I'm afraid that we have not thanked you enough. I am grateful to God our lives have touched and hope that we can continue on this way forever!!



Anna is studying at Baylor University in Waco, TX:
I can't tell you how much I miss those nights we spent together (small group at BFA). Nothing but the fellowship of you beautiful women, and Sandee----your amazing monkey bread and grapes. OH! I cannot wait until I can hold you each in my arms again!
I've been doing well, so much better this semester than last. My church is amazing. I really am loving it.
I'm studying to get a Bachelor of Arts and Science. My major as of last fall in International Studies, with a concentration in Latin American studies. I hope to take a semester abroad in Mandosa, Argentina. And my two friends, Ana and Maria, who are from Mandosa, and in a semester-long exchange program at Baylor tell me that I can stay with them, should I desire to live on for a while in the beautiful city. The coffee shop and library are the two places I seem to spend my LIFE. Seriously, college has turned me into an all-out nerd. So, this is a very slight summary of my time at Baylor. Exciting? Yes. More than anything, the traditions that Baylor upholds make for a very stereotypically-riveting college experience. Discouraging? It has been at times, but I'm certain this is right. Challenging? Every day.


Anna's family all together for Christmas 2010.

I am so proud of these girls and so grateful to God for bringing them into my life and our lives (Tim and me). We continue to stay in touch and I hope that someday we will all be able to reunite!

No comments: