Saturday, April 14, 2007

Luke's report on the trip to Romania


Dear friend,

Well, I'm back in Germany, after a great, but tiring week in Romania. It began when the 13 of us flew out of Basel, Switzerland on Thursday morning to Vienna, and from Vienna to Timisoara, Romania. There we met up with our hosts, Phil and Adinela Ness, who are missionaries that work with the youth in the small town of Marga, where we spent our week. The town in relatively poor, like most we passed on our two-hour drive from the airport. Everything in Romania is very makeshift, and everything has a "patched-up" feel. There is a definite ex-communist aura about the place. Despite that, the people are very pleasant, and loved to have us there.

For the most part, we worked with the youth. On the weekdays, we led a VBS-style program from 4-6 in the afternoon. My role was leading the music, which was very relaxed and casual. My biggest concern with our trip beforehand was what seemed to me like our "unpreparedness". But I feel like God taught me that that's not always necessary.
Almost everything we did during the week felt very on-the-spot and improvised, but that's how the culture worked. During the church services we attended, we were asked multiple times to "sing a couple of songs" which made for a share of awkward silences (we had nothing at all prepared), but it turned out great, and we sang our contemporary worship songs a cappella like an untrained choir.

I expected on this trip to be met with a group of unchurched children who would be hearing what we had to say for the first time, which proved not to be entirely true. Almost everyone it seemed attended either the orthodox church services or the non-denominational church which we got to experience. So in the end, our experience wasn't much of an evangelical mission. Instead, I think we played the role of "encourager" with these kids. We did our best to love them with the time we had, and hope that God took care of everything else. I think we were successful.

In the mornings we helped to pour an addition onto their cement basketball/soccer court at the youth center, as well as planting potatoes for the Romanian family we stayed with. In the evenings we played more than our fair share of pickup soccer games, card games,
and whatnot with the youth.

All in all it was an amazing trip. I think it goes without saying that it made me thankful for the things I take for granted, which I expected going into it. The people I met in Romania had so little, but some were so full of joy. As much as I hope that I was an encouragement to those I came into contact with in Marga, I know that the people there were an encouragement to me. Nevertheless, the people of the town do need prayer. We heard a lot of sad stories while we were there, and many people are not as happy as those we spent the most time with. There is a strong division between the orthodox church and the one we attended, and much of the mission of the Ness family is to break down that barrier and cause a revival. I like the way my new friend Sergiu said it. He told me that he doesn't like that the town has two cemeteries (one orthodox, one for everyone else), because there is only one Jesus, not two).

I saw a lot of great things happening in Romania, but there is for sure a lot to be done and a lot that needs prayer. In any case, I want to thank you for helping to send me on this incredible experience. It has given me a new perspective and left me encouraged and inspired.

Without your help, this wouldn't have been possible. So as they say in Romania,
"Multumesc and Iisus te iubeste",
Luke
Luke with his Romanian friend. Notice closely Luke's hat.

No comments: