Thursday, June 17, 2010

Surgery

No pictures this time round. I will try to post some later from my hospital room. I wanted you update you on my kidney surgery. I had my operation on Monday at the University hospital in Basel, Switzerland. The surgeons were hoping to remove my kidney stones using laparoscopy, but they warned me ahead of time that this method might not work and that they would not know until during surgery.
It did in fact not work and they had to resort to a more invasive surgery. They made an incision, removed 3 large stones and also had to repair the ureter leading from the kidney. It was damaged (had a kink in it probably all my life) and very narrow. The surgeon feels that this repair will solve the problem of any further kidney stones. Because the ureter was so narrow, probably for many years, he feels that waste was not passing properly and causing sediment to build up in my right kidney and causing stones.
Recovery the past two days has been tough. They admitted to giving me too much morphine immediately following the surgery (they kept on pumping it into me) and that made me sick. It is very painful to have to vomit with a fresh incision!! )o;
Also, because they started with laparoscopy, they put air in me for the scope and the camera. This air stays trapped inside because it cannot escape and this is painful and very uncomfortable causing a lot of pressure on my back and my abdomen.
Since last night some of the air has escaped so I am feeling a little better today.
Here are some blessings that I am thankful for today:
1. My wonderful husband who hangs out with me even though hospital rooms are downright boring (except yesterday there was almost a fire in my room caused by a faulty outlet - that caused some excitement!
2. World-class hospital care - wise and caring surgeons and very loving hospital staff (the top/chief surgeon of urology and his assistant performed my surgery)
3. My ipod shuffle and sleep medication (my roommate snores very loudly!)
4. Cloudy and rainy weather which keeps my hospital room cool
5. Soccer, my favorite sport, and the World Cup going on right now - watching on my little hospital TV helps to distract me from the pain and discomfort
6. Morphine!!
5. An army of prayer warriors who are standing with me.
I have heard from so many of you telling me that you are praying. That means more than you know! Thank-you! Thank-you! I am grateful for your continued prayers for a speedy recovery with no infection....and a short hospital stay (although it looks like I will have to be here at least one week, perhaps longer).

3 comments:

Diane Smid said...

Will continue to pray for you friend. Enjoy the soccer.

Jesse and Doris Frank said...

I am sitting here with Mom and we think of you and pray for you continually. It is so nice Mom can get updates each day. Thanks for doing that(both you and Tim). It means a lot to her.

Shawna said...

I'm glad world cup is on at least. And I praise God that the problem is fixed so this won't happen anymore!